We make pork shoulders a ton in our house. They always yield so much leftover meat. I freeze what we can’t use throughout the week for use later down the road. I made this pizza with leftover pulled pork, tangy barbecue sauce and caramelized onions the other night and man was it delicious. Lee even kept saying “this is really good” while going for another slice – that means we’ve hit a homerun over here!
Buying pre-made pizza dough and bottled barbecue sauce is a dang good shortcut for this pizza. You can find the dough in the freezer section of the grocery store, or call your local pizza joint and ask if they sell their dough.
Serves: 1 pizza
1 cup leftover pulled pork (see my Crockpot Carnitas here)
1/2 pound pizza dough of choice
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Melt olive oil and butter in large pan over medium-high heat. Once melted, throw in the sliced onion and toss around so the onion gets coated. After about 10 minutes, sprinkle salt and sugar in the pan. Keep stirring the onion around while it slowly browns for about 30 more minutes. Set aside.
- Dust a rimmed baking sheet with some corn meal. Stretch the pizza dough out on the baking sheet so that it’s about 10 inches wide. Form a crust.
- Pour the barbecue sauce on top of the pizza and spread it around with the back of a spoon. Top with mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Then top with pulled pork and caramelized onions.
- Bake the pizza on the middle rack in the oven for 8-10 minutes, until crust turns lightly golden brown.
- Serve with crushed red pepper.