Who else loves getting a big bowl of yumminess from Chipotle? This girl, that’s for sure. When you think about it, everything in their line is really easy to obtain: simple black beans, corn, rice, cilantro lime rice, guacamole, lettuce, cheese, salsa, pico de gallo. We can do this guys, we can make our own Chipotle bowls at home and have lunch for the week. Can’t we?
Lee brought home some pig butts the other week and I thought, let’s make crockpot carnitas and then be done for the week, heck ya! I put the pork in the crockpot and it cooked all day while we were at work, then after work I simply mixed some cooked white rice with lime and cilantro (leave out cilantro if you don’t prefer it, like me), mashed the guacamole, heated up the corn and beans, shredded some lettuce, and voila. Pour some cheese and store bought pice de gallo and/or salsa on top, and you’re set.
Serves: 4 bowls
2 cups shredded carnitas meat (see recipe here for my Crockpot carnitas)
2 cups raw white rice
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
2 large avocados
1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
1 15-ounce can of corn
1 15-ounce can of black beans
1/2 cup pico de gallo or salsa (I used pre-made from the store)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon minced onion
- Rice: Rinse rice. Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a pot. Add the rice, cover the pan, and lower the heat to low. Allow to simmer gently for about 15 minutes until the water is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let sit for another 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Mix in juice of 1 lime and the chopped cilantro.
- Guacamole: Using a fork, mash avocado in a bowl until desired consistency. Add juice of 1 lime, salt, garlic powder and minced onion. Mash in with fork.
- Corn: Drain and rinse corn, then heat up in a skillet over medium low heat until lightly browned.
- Beans: Drain and rinse corn, then heat up in a small sauce pan over medium low heat.
- Arrange bowls: Divide rice evenly among bowls, then top with shredded carnitas meat, guacamole, corn, beans, shredded lettuce, cheese and pico de gallo or salsa.