There is a restaurant here in town that serves our favorite salad. It’s one of those “I’m going to order a salad so I feel healthy but really this salad is worse for you than cheeseburger and fries” kind of salad. It’s home to all the goodies in salad-land (cheese, bacon, avocado, more cheese, you name it) and is topped with homemade ranch and (wait for it)… fried chicken tenders. I mean, it’s pretty amazing. But what is one supposed to do when they want the goodness of a hearty salad without all the guilt? Make your own, and make it healthy, of course!
I did a homemade version of this salad by baking the chicken in the oven (while still making it crispy), loading it full of fresh veggies, and making my own Greek Yogurt Ranch. The result is delicious. If you are not a Greek Yogurt fan, this dressing might not be for you as it has that famous tang of Greek Yogurt. But have no fear, this salad would be just as delicious with your favorite store bought lite Ranch.
Serves: 2 salads
1 pound chicken breast, pounded thin
1/4 cup Panko
1/4 cup breadcrumbs (I used Garlic and Herb)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (this can be the store bought kind that comes in the bottle)
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Pam or olive oil spray
2 cups Iceberg lettuce, chopped
2 cups Romaine lettuce, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
1/2 cucumber, peeled and chopped
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
4 radishes, sliced
1 small avocado, diced
Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing (or use your favorite lite Ranch dressing):
5 ounces Greek yogurt
1 tsp parsley
1/2 teaspoon dill
1/2 tsp chives
1/4 tsp minced onion
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 tbsp milk (I used 2%)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread Panko and breadcrumbs out on rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 3 minutes until light brown. Pour breadcrumb mixture into bowl, mix in Parmesan, and set aside.
- Spray the empty baking sheet with Pam or olive oil spray.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg, mayonnaise, dijon, garlic, flour, salt and pepper together with a fork.
- Set up assembly line for the chicken: chicken breasts, batter, breadcrumbs and rimmed baking sheet.
- Dip chicken into batter, then breadcrumbs, then place on the tray. Once complete, spray the top of the chicken with Pam or olive oil spray. Bake for 18 minutes.
- While the chicken is in the oven, prepare the salads in two bowls: divide the lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomato, radish and avocado between the two bowls.
- If making dressing: Whisk the dressing ingredients together and add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- When the chicken is done, cut into bit size pieces and add to the salad bowls. Drizzle dressing over salad.