The Holiday season always leaves our fridge brimming with leftovers, and who doesn’t get tired of eating the same thing over and over again? This time, shred up your leftover Holiday turkey and whip up this lemony turkey and orzo soup full of fresh herbs. You can also enjoy this soup anytime during the year, just sub in some cooked, shredded turkey meat or even a rotisserie chicken.
This soup is SO easy to make and tastes like it has been cooking all day. So put that bird to use and impress your guests with this heavenly leftover creation!
4 cups cooked, shredded turkey meat (or chicken)
7-8 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cup mirepoix (diced onion, carrot and celery)
1 leek, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup orzo, dry
1 lemon, juiced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat-high heat.
- Add mirepoix and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and leek, and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and let cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add orzo and turkey to pot, and cook for another 10 minutes until the orzo is soft .
- Add salt, pepper, lemon juice, thyme and oregano to pot. Stir together.